The story begins in 1942, when a young Texas entrepreneur, Robert “Earl” McMackin, developed and patented the stadia rod to help seismologists search for oil. Precision Specialties Company was born the following year in Dallas, Texas. By 1950, Precision Specialties Company patented portable breast reels and multiple tools for the down-hole handling of dynamite, continuing the innovation that started the company.
While servicing companies in the geological field, additional needs for other quality supplies became apparent. Earl and his son, Edwin “Ed” McMackin, began purchasing slit cheese cloth, one of the first materials used for roll flagging. Eventually, non-woven materials gave way to vinyl as the roll flagging material of choice. Other marking product requests continued to reach Earl, products such as wire marking flags. Precision Specialties purchased slitting equipment and in 1956 began slitting finished roll flagging for their customers.
In 1966, Ed and his son, Waymon, began exploring ways to increase the efficiencies of their marking product manufacturing line. Desires to vertically integrate lead them to investigate internally producing PVC film for roll flagging and stake flags. In 1975, the first sellable pound of vinyl film was extruded by Precision Specialties Company. The vertical integration allowed material formulation changes, which improved the performance characteristics of the stake flags and roll flagging. As the market recognized the company’s ability to produce customized requests, Ed began to recognize a need from surveyors for a more ‘industrial’ roll flagging. To distinguish the new superior grade of roll flagging from the competition, Ed embossed the state of Texas throughout the film. It came to be known as Texas Grade Roll Flagging and today, Texas Roll Flagging remains the preferred choice among professional surveyors.
Many changes occurred at Precision Specialties Company in 1979 such as renaming the company to from PREcision Specialties COmpany to PRESCO and an expansion to sell the Presco extruded vinyl film to other manufacturers and in 1981, Presco landed their first engineered film customer.
In 1987, Waymon relocated the company to Sherman, Texas. The move afforded Presco the opportunity to expand their manufacturing capabilities in an area rich with skilled industrial workers. The community of Sherman continues to provide Presco with wonderful employees who have fueled the growth and success of Presco.
Today, Presco’s manufacturing operations remain in their two facilities in Sherman, TX. These two facilities house three PVC extruders, custom designed marking product machines, and the dedicated, hardworking employees of Presco. The future of Presco is bright and ever changing. The Presco story is rich in innovation which all Presco employees plan on continuing with the partnership of our loyal customers. Let Presco prove to you the desire to be….. “Your First, Best Place to Buy and Our Last, Best Place to Work”!