The SUBSTIWOOD® line of patented high-performance fiber-reinforced lightweight concrete products introduced by Substiwood, Inc. is designed to offer the construction industry a durable and cost effective alternative to wood and conventional concrete that is tough, durable, nailable, and sawable. There are a great variety of applications for this revolutionary SUBSTIWOOD® technology. Substiwood, Inc. is the recipient of the 2005 Wisconsin Governor's New Product Award Certificate of Merit for the "Outstanding Development of Concrete Lumber" Products. SUBSTIWOOD® products are produced in different grades for both structural and non-structural applications.
- Can be made in a great variety of sizes, shapes, integrated colors, and patterns.
- Can be made with excellent mechanical properties to serve as structural and non-structural members.
- Can hold screws and nails.
- Are sawable using hand or electric saws. They can also be drilled.
- Have excellent material toughness and ductility (energy absorbing), and they are shatter-resistant.
- Are a specialty lightweight concrete. Substiwood has half the unit weight of conventional concrete.
- Are cost competitive. Additionally, shipping costs are lower because of lighter weight.
- Can positively impact the environment. They contain over 40% (by weight) recycled materials.
- Are fire resistant.
- Are not susceptible to attack by harmful insects or parasites such as termites.